DAY 5!!! Camino a la Cima - (and HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAKE!!)

Hey all, it's Jake.

So today was pretty interesting.  For those of you who do not know, 18 years ago on this very day (February 13th), my big head and I came screaming into this world.  And now, 18 years later, it is the first time away from my family on a birthday.  I am suffocating in Colombia from the altitude.  Couldn't be better.  Over the last few months, and especially in these past five days, everyone on this team has become like family to me.  I have learned so much more about each and every one of them.  I thought I knew a lot of them fairly well already!  Many of the nights before we go to bed, and sometimes even after we are supposed to be in bed, we all sit around the bedroom doors and "write in our journals" while talking about the day or life in general.  I'm seriously going to miss these people when I graduate.  (After supper edit: Ok, so after supper tonight Berta made me a cake and everyone decided to share one thing they each appreciated about me.  Most of the things I never really give a second thought to most time.  I haven't come that close to full, bawling out my eyes in a long time.  I am truly grateful and thank God for these people that I can call my friends.)  So even though I may not be with my real family, I still feel as though I am with family.  Love you Mom and Dad :)))  Even at the school we went to today, Camino a la Cima, when we first got there and they introduced us to the younger kids, they all sang happy birthday for me in Spanish and English!  Then later when we were leaving, we were taking pictures with the Grade 11's (Canadian Grade 12  equivalent) and they sang for me as well in English and Spanish.  That was pretty cool. 

So about the school.  I honestly think yesterday's teaching went better, but the day was still just as good I would say.  Molly and I were sent to occupy Prekindergarten all the way to Grade One.  There's a four year span in there believe it or not.  A lot of our time was spent making snowmen out of play-dough and teaching them about hockey.  There was a kid in the PreKindergarten class, in particular, that really stuck out to me.  No matter where I was in the room, he was always trying to talk to me.  Think of the cutest kid you can imagine.  Now think of someone cuter.  Boom, that's him.  Sorry if this offends you, but it's true :).  If you could put the word innocent on a face, you would see this kid.  I have no idea what kind of background or home this kid came from.  I have no idea what his name was, but he really punched a hole in my heart (in a good way).  Shortly before lunch they did a short presentation for us of some traditional Colombian music and dancing.  That was pretty awesome as well.  The dancing and singing were cool, but there was this guy - a man's man.  He has the hair, the looks, the beard, and most important of all... the saxophone.  This dude rocked that sax.  It made me so happy to see someone playing a saxophone in music that was not just band class.  And, yes, band class is awesome, I love it.  So that just tells you how sick this dude was. 

As for what God has been teaching me, I would have to say that aside from the obvious, "I am a piggish 1st world person with way too much stuff," He has been showing me that no one is ever too far gone, or a lost/hopeless cause.  So many of these kid's situations may seem hopeless, but they are not.  Chewie, the guy who helps run The Jungle is a prime example of this.  He was a kid left to die on the streets of Bogota.  Then he was taken in by the Bartels and they showed him the love of God.  That's all it takes.  Anyways, I should stop writing and let Morgan write his thing...


Hello, Morgan here.

Today we went to Camino a la Cima, a school much smaller than yesterday's. When we arrived, we were all told that we had to split into groups of two. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but we had already made lessons in groups of three, meaning that one member from each group had to form new groups and teach the kids English. On top of this, the time we had to teach wavered as well and we had no idea if the teacher had plans already or whether we were on our own to find something to teach.

The first class my partner Kenneth and I taught was by far the worst of the day. We had no idea what was in store for us.  We were down one person and some supplies and had to almost improvise our lesson. Thankfully, we adapted well and overcame these difficulties and it turned out to be a great experience. The students performed a dance and were overall very friendly to us. Back to the teaching, I had to carry around a puppet all day which I lovingly named 'Abuelito.'  He was a huge hit with the kids.

This whole day was a real trial for me as I am not normally an outgoing person. I had to go out, interact with kids and large groups (most of whom couldn't speak my language) which was all out of my comfort zone. But I guess that's why I'm here. God has pushed me both physically and mentally these past few days. I have felt myself growing closer to H
im since arriving, as well as growing closer to my teammates too. Overall, a very very good day. I also apologize for the shortness and quality of this post, but I am not normally a blog writer. Oh well.






Comments

Popular Posts