DAY 9 - IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

Hey all it's Brie!

Today, we got to sleep in which was REALLY nice. Breakfast was at 9:00 am.  instead of the normal 6:30 am. mealtime. Because today was a Sunday, it was a ciclovia day, which means part of the roads in Bogota were closed off in order to encourage families to walk, bike, or rollerblade rather than drive. We took advantage of this and walked approximately 3 miles to the Church we visited today. The Church was called Tabernacle of Faith and we were given wireless devices that allowed us to hear a translator speaking in English. in order to understand the message.

In the afternoon, we went up the train to Monserrate. Monserrate is a tourist attraction on the top of one of the mountains surrounding Bogota where there is an amazing view of the city and also a gorgeous Catholic Church at the top. After wandering around the Church and surrounding paths for a while, we got in line for the train down. During the 2 hours and 10 minute wait in line, we sang, talked, and played games to pass the time.

This trip has been really amazing for me and I have really enjoyed teaching and interacting with the kids. One thing that has really stuck out to me in the past week is the love and joy that these people show even if they come from really hard situations. Everywhere we went, the Jungle, Hogar de Paz, Barrio Egipto, the handicapped orphanage, and teen mom's home, there were people struggling and living through difficult things, yet at each of these places they expressed so much joy and love for us and the people around them that you would never guess their circumstances. As we prepare to come home, I really want to carry this lesson with me and show this amount of love to others around me as has been shown to me in the past few days.

Thanks for taking time to read about our trip and my experiences,
Bye!

Hi! It's Gracien.

Today was a nice break from our usual teaching. I enjoyed singing our choir songs as part of the morning church service, and hope that we were able to bless the people. I also thought it was really cool when the pastor was leading worship and sang part of the song in English for us. Just like last week, I enjoyed singing along in English to the worship songs I know. It was also really nice and thoughtful of them to organize a translator for us. I found it really interesting how the pastor challenged the young people in the message, and was really focused on the future of the church and Christianity in Bogota as a whole.

I can't believe that this trip is almost over and that we have to say goodbye to all the wonderful people we met and became friends with. It has been amazing to see how much some aspects of Bogota have improved over the past few decades, and I hope that this will continue. I've loved seeing the way God has given incredible dreams to people who love him and also witnessing how these dreams are being fulfilled. Ideas that might seem impossible to us are never impossible to God, and this can be seen through the many schools, children's programs, and other organizations we have visited.

Thank-you for your time and prayers.
See you soon!



Comments

Popular Posts